( MAGAZINE)

Temple of Saint Sava is the largest Serbian Orthodox church, the largest Orthodox church in the Balkans and one of the largest Orthodox churches in the world. It is located in the eastern part of the St. Sava Square, in the municipality of Vracar, in Belgrade. It was built on the site that are believed to be Sinan Pasha in 1595 burned the relics of St. Sava, the founder of the Serbian Orthodox Church. This monumental temple represents an organic part of modern vivid image of Belgrade, being one of its main features.

The temple is located at the end of the line Belgrade Kalemegdan – Republic Square – Terazije – Beogradjanka – Temple of Saint Sava. It was built in the Serbian-Byzantine style, with four towers 44 meters high. Height top of the dome is 70 m, while the main golden cross for 12 m high, making the top of the temple gives an overall height of 82 m and an altitude of 134 m (64 m above the level of the Sava River). Therefore, this church occupies a prominent place in Belgrade horizon and is visible from all approaches to the city.

The church can accommodate 10,000 worshipers, and the western choir gallery can hold 800 choir. Beneath the floor of the temple was built in treasury and crypt of Saint Sava, and the mausoleum church of St. Prince Lazar.